The Lord of the Rings Meme | ten scenes (2/10)
Farewell to Lórien.
This is my favorite fucking scene.
If you’ve read the Silmarillion, you know who Fëanor was. If you don’t, Fëanor was the dickhead who created the Silmarils: three indescribably beautiful and magical jewels that contained the light and essence of the world before it became flawed. They were the catatlyst for basically every important thing that happened in the First Age of Middle Earth.
It is thought that the inspiration for the Silmarils came to Fëanor from the sight of Galadriel’s shining, silver-gold hair.
He begged her three times for single strand of her beautiful hair. And every time, Galadriel refused him. Even when she was young, Galadriel’s ability to see into other’s hearts was very strong, and she knew that Fëanor was filled with nothing but fire and greed.
Fast forward to the end of the Third Age.
Gimli, visiting Lorien, is also struck by Galadriel’s beauty. During the scene where she’s passing out her parting gifts to the Fellowship, Galadriel stops empty-handed in front of Gimli, because she doesn’t know what to offer a Dwarf. Gimli tells her: no gold, no treasure… just a single strand of hair to remember her beauty by.
She gives him three. Three.
And this is why Gimli gets to be an Elf Friend, people. Because Galadriel looks at him and thinks he deserves what she refused the greatest Elf who ever lived—- and then twice that. And because he has no idea of the significance of what she’s just given him, but he’s going to treasure it the rest of his life anyway.
Just look at that smile on Legolas’s face in the last panel. He gets it. He knows the backstory. And I’m pretty sure this is the moment he reconsiders whether Elves and Dwarves can’t be friends after all.
Holy shit I’ve been meaning to read the Silmarillion for ages, getting on that now
- jaihodarling likes this
- porcelainwife reblogged this from robinade
- gigafice reblogged this from taliaxxlove
- child-of-books reblogged this from hamish-and-holmes and added:
- child-of-books likes this
- itisbutadream reblogged this from thatoboekid
- ms-timelord likes this
- kaitkitten reblogged this from wolfwantsred
- thoubear8 reblogged this from jesuisbeowulf
- tokadog likes this
- runliketennant likes this
- tardisinasgard reblogged this from jbduk
- shewhoisneondaisies likes this
- simplylincoln reblogged this from robinade
- berserkbutterfly likes this
- markruffalobuffalo likes this
- moonstruck2 reblogged this from twoandtwentyonebee
- galloglach reblogged this from madamlegolas
- dicloniius reblogged this from taupewolfy
- kirstypedia reblogged this from noweapons-justwords
- the-grand-high-blood reblogged this from beforandalter
- beforandalter reblogged this from bravelittletoreador
- aumentoinferno likes this
- darkwolfwarrior likes this
- centaurtimorous likes this
- ask-missdualscar likes this
- usslesigh reblogged this from bravelittletoreador
- grievousgrimalkin likes this
- aquariusculler likes this
- mstweeny likes this
- friendlyneighborhoodmadscientist reblogged this from sunspotpony
- bravelittletoreador reblogged this from sunspotpony
- sunspotpony reblogged this from medic-prince-shiri
- melodiouslittlebluebird reblogged this from superdoctorstarlock
- yesthecarpetsmatchthedrapes likes this
- danisnotawoman reblogged this from theedgeofthewild
- danisnotawoman likes this
- colorsinthedarkness reblogged this from grumpyismyspiritanimal
- colorsinthedarkness likes this
- thatoboekid reblogged this from jbduk
- the-festively-plump-starfish likes this
- grumpyismyspiritanimal reblogged this from superdoctorstarlock
- yashakage reblogged this from superdoctorstarlock
- taupewolfy reblogged this from feels-like-fire
- acidburn42 likes this
- kamuffin reblogged this from writersgrief
- heyletsnot13 reblogged this from superdoctorstarlock
- heyletsnot13 likes this
- superdoctorstarlock reblogged this from just-another-teenage-girl16
- mattreadsthings likes this