These are lampshades. They used to be part of a one-of-a-kind, priceless, irreplaceable, never-gunna-get-this-shit-back Gregorian chant book.
I know that some people are weird and don’t understand history, so let’s break this down for you. Also, I will explain why I’m being ridiculously redundant.
Music has been a part of history for as long as anybody knows. But we’ve missed out on most of it because Oog and Grug didn’t have tape recorders or writing skills. We’ll never know the drumbeats of our ancestors or the songs that they sung or whether they would have used Limewire if given the chance. Just like stories, oral tradition was the only way to pass music from generation to generation for the longest time.
Then along came the Renaissance, and people were all like, “THIS SHIT IS GREAT, HOW DO WE KEEP IT!?” and they organized the standard notation system we use today: five lines, four spaces, keys and time signatures and clefs and different symbols for the duration of notes. Blah blah blah.
But you don’t just HAPPEN upon something awesome that will keep forever, you’ve got to make mistakes. Trial and error. See what works, see what doesn’t; you work with it until you get to something great.
Before we had the standard musical notation system, we had those great people who tried to convert music to something portable so it could be shared.
Churches used to be a big thing back in the day, and they were all, “OUR HYMNS. WE SHOULD SHARE THEM.” So obviously, that was a priority. Monks, being the great lonely fellows they were, set aside large chunks of their lives to dedicate to the challenge of how to write something you could hear.
Hence, Gregorian Chant books. Because monks chanted and music’d it up.
The precursor to what we use today to read and write music.
Thing is, parchment was sparse until after the Bubonic plague killed 1/3 of Europe’s population and the printing press and all. So a lot of these books didn’t make it- they got painted over and used for more important things like the king’s grocery list or something.
That we could have something so rare in our possession… We could learn their notation and hear tunes that haven’t been jammed to in 1000-ish years.
But then this such asshole came along and, *SWOOP!* -NOPE- made some lampshades.
This rich asshole made human history that we will never get back into a mother fucking lampshade.
- laughthroughthechaos reblogged this from lovetherunning
- montaniensis reblogged this from googleberry
- googleberry reblogged this from angelblack3
- stmaur likes this
- patriasboyfriend reblogged this from angelblack3
- together12up likes this
- rakeyrach reblogged this from keepcalmandplaythebass
- peculiarmoomin likes this
- keepcalmandplaythebass reblogged this from lovetherunning
- angelblack3 reblogged this from naughtytrick
- dreamcity7 reblogged this from lovetherunning
- wing-and-prayer reblogged this from sisterbeatrice and added:
- sisterbeatrice reblogged this from theemperorsnewboob
- screamtaco likes this
- matelate likes this
- theemperorsnewboob reblogged this from oodlesofood
- one-million-medics likes this
- sophiajiang likes this
- dsylexia reblogged this from minionier
- hornbread reblogged this from googleberry
- edwarddiggory likes this
- imploding-carrion likes this
- jynxed13 likes this
- strawberryorange reblogged this from googleberry
- annundriel reblogged this from zacharyquintno
- sarahstocracy likes this
- naughtytrick reblogged this from lidlesseye and added:
- lunaintheskywiththetardis reblogged this from anescapedfish
- rachikat likes this
- coffeeandadanish likes this
- lordsofkobol reblogged this from anescapedfish
- americanaintheimpala likes this
- lidlesseye reblogged this from anescapedfish
- doctorwhubarb likes this
- anescapedfish reblogged this from lovetherunning
- minionier reblogged this from mydearoswin
- elleliteration reblogged this from stevegoshdarnrogers
- stevegoshdarnrogers reblogged this from zacharyquintno
- crime-of-the-century reblogged this from lovetherunning
- 5evamore reblogged this from mydearoswin
- mydearoswin reblogged this from muthafuckinarchive
- devianta reblogged this from muthafuckinarchive
- dovakiim reblogged this from sylph-of-rage
- muthafuckinarchive reblogged this from samasever
- sylph-of-rage reblogged this from samasever
- samasever reblogged this from zacharyquintno
- thinkmooinc reblogged this from checkmyshoe123 and added:
- h0nestmistake reblogged this from zacharyquintno
- acupofcoffee-and-anoverdose likes this
- zacharyquintno reblogged this from checkmyshoe123